Thursday, September 11, 2008

hey y'all

Hi guys! My name's Cambra, and I'm the TA for the Media Studies class (for all of you I didn't get a chance to talk to last week). This is my third (and final--knock wood) year in the MA program. I've spent the last 4 semesters focusing pretty specifically on sound production and radio art especially. This year I'll be working on my thesis, which is on mediating the female body through radio (I won't bore you here, but I'm happy to practice my cocktail-party spiel if anyone is interested). I'm very excited to be involved in our new(ish) campus station!

I listen to a lot of radio (mostly online, but the old-fashioned way too, when I'm cooking), a lot of podcasts, and a lot of more obscure stuff from various sites and blogs. Since we're starting with the NPR model, though, and since not everyone may be as equally familar with the medium as a whole, I thought I'd start by linking to two of my favorite WNYC shows:

RadioLab is one of the more popular shows on the station, and (in my humble opinion) a fantastic example of how to fully utilize the medium in this context. Good nerdy, science-y fun for all ages, creeds, shapes and sizes.

On The Media is pretty much what it sounds like--a radio-magazine-style look at our mediated society. Some months ago they did a fantastic segment called "Pulling Back the Curtain," which demonstrates the process of cutting and editing a radio show together (for that smooth, polished, oh-so-NPR sound).

For our WNSR assignment this week, I listened to Andy Folk's "New Jobs in Old Profession"--did anyone else listen to this? (It's the first piece under "Features.") I had some comments about some technical aspects, as well as his choice of music beds (particularly a certain Peaches song), but I'm interested to see if anyone else had similar reactions, so I'll wait for Friday's class.

Looking forward to working with all of you this semester!

No comments: