Sunday, February 1, 2009

Some Introductory, Pragmatic Info

Hello class! I'm Cambra, the Media Studies/Radio Lab TA. I worked with last semester's class as well, and I'm looking forward to helping the station grow and evolve even more this semester! I think we have a really great group this time around.

Briefly on me: I'm in my last semester in the Media Studies MA program, working on my thesis, which is about radio art and the female body. I can elaborate if anyone is interested, but I'll spare you here.

I want to point out a few things on the site and some general information to get us off and running this semester! First, you will notice a link on the right-hand side of the blog home page labeled "Campus Contacts." This is an ongoing list of various people to contact if you are interested in covering/are assigned to cover campus events. As most of you probably know, The New School's various divisions disseminate event calendars monthly. If you or your production team want to cover events on this calendar, you can contact the appropriate party in the spreadsheet directly to facilitate the process. I will be adding to this list as the semester goes on, and I encourage anyone with links to various divisions/departments to let the class know!

Also, a few of you mentioned wanting to work in "radio drama" in some respect during the semester. Some Drama faculty were kind enough to draft a list of Drama students who expressed interest in being involved in WNSR productions. This list appears as a link called "Drama Student Pool." I encourage anyone looking for acting/voice over talent to contact these students!

Finally, I thought I would link to some interesting listening to inspire us ! Benjamen Walker is one of my favorites the last few years. He has worked in public and freeform radio used to have a regular podcast until he stopped updating it in favor of, I'm sure, more important things. I think it's a lot of fun and a nice "fact/fiction" blend, to give you an idea of what's possible on the air. There are also lots of great listening/informational radio links on the blog home page; I encourage everyone to poke around.

Enjoy. I look forward to working with all of you this semester!

No comments: